17.9.08

Social Bookmarking as a resource

Social Bookmarking

I wish I knew about social bookmarking during college and student teaching so I would still have all of those sites I’ve lost! It
would have made my first year teaching a bit easier, instead of having to find all new helpful sites. Personally, I can’t wait to get my del.icio.us site going, so that I can help my friends in the classroom this year, as well as get myself more prepared for next year when I’m back in the classroom. I’m going to introduce it to my Dad, who is a contractor. I think it will help him keep all of his websites organized, instead of the regular bookmarking.

I can really see the uses of social bookmarking in the classroom, because students wouldn’t have to waste time typing a long web address. They would be able to get right into the activity or reading. I’ve had first-hand experience where my students were trying to type in a long address, and some were getting frustrated. This could have been easily avoided, had I had my own del.icio.us site.

Podcasting

Including music in podcasts really livens it up, especially for kids, and especially when it is placed well, i.e. sound effects. In this podcast, the presenter tried incorporating music in the beginning and end of his program, but could have added more as a background in the middle.

Podcasting can be a good way to get listeners to visit your website. At the end of the podcast, the presenter gave his web address. If listeners really liked what they heard, they will more than likely visit your website if you share it.

I found myself multitasking as I listened to the podcast. I was talking to my friend who just got married this weekend, while still listening to the podcast. I think this is something that would/does really appeal to the Net Geners, because they could be listening to a professor’s lecture, while making plans with friends for later. As long as they are really listening of course.

No comments: